Did you know these "Funny Honey Facts?"
A beehive can contain between 50,000 and 60,000 bees.
The three types of bees that are found in a hive are the queen, drones and worker bees.
The queen bee lays approximately 2,000 eggs per day at a rate of 5 or 6 per minute.
Bees never sleep but they will rest inside the beehive.
All worker bees are females.
Bees live approximately six weeks during their production period.
One bee will visit between 50 to 500 flowers per day.
An average beehive produces 90 pounds of honey, but it takes approximately 40,000 bees to produce this amount.
Famous songs with the word “honey” include Van Morrison’s “Tupelo Honey” and The Archies 1960 hit, “Sugar, Sugar, Honey, Honey.”
Honey bees are the only insects to produce food for humans.
Honey is approximately 82% sugar and 18% water.
Honey was found in Egyptian tombs dating back 5,000 years. The product was edible although it had significantly changed color.
How to Make a Peanut Butter and Honey Sandwich in Space Video
Burleson's Honey Bears - Recipe for Kids
Our latest kids’ recipe is Burleson's Honey Bears, special cookie treats that are bear-shaped (of course).
You will need these ingredients:
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1 10-1/2 oz bag miniature marshmallows
1/3 cup Burleson's Pure Clover Honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
12 cups crisp rice cereal or popped popcorn
Candy or raisins for decoration
Now, follow these instructions:
- In large microwave-safe bowl, microwave butter on High for 45 seconds or until melted.
- Stir in marshmallows; microwave on High for 1-1/2 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth.
- Stir in honey and vanilla until well combined.
- Add cereal; stir to coat.
- Let cool for a few minutes.
- Firmly press about 1 cup of the cereal mixture at a time onto wax paper, and shape it into a bear!. (It's easier to press mixture into shaper if you wear plastic gloves or put clean plastic bags over your hands.) Tap on waxed paper to release.
- Decorate as desired. Makes about 16 bears.