Why isn’t honey safe for infants?

Infant botulism is a rare but serious paralytic disease caused by the microorganism Clostridium botulinum. Spores of C. botulinum are widely distributed in nature. They can be found in soil, dust, the air, and raw agricultural products including honey.

Children and adults with normal intestinal microflora are able to ingest these spores without harm, but infants are susceptible to them until their intestinal microflora develop.

The National Honey Board and other organizations recommend that honey not be fed to infants under one year of age.